Tuesday, March 10, 2015

Picture Perfect by Jodi Picoult

I'm a serious Jodi Picoult fan.  I stalk her on Facebook (I can't help it...she's just so REAL on her page).  I devour everything she writes and I quickly recommend all of it to friends, relatives, and total strangers who look like they could use a good book. Picoult gets under your skin.  Her writing completely messes with your head in a way that is refreshing.  You simply cannot be stupid or hold tight to your previous convictions about grey areas of life when you read Picoult's work.

That being said, this one went in a direction I didn't love. True to her style, this one brought up something dark and sinister and took it for a deep analysis.  She brings you into the minds and lives of your characters and they come alive.  My only problem was with how Cassie (our protagonist) handles her situation (actively trying not to ruin the twist here, forgive me for being cryptic).  I wanted Cassie's inner strengths to translate to her exterior.  I wanted her bravery to show outwardly.  Arguably this mirrors real life, but I still felt disappointed.

Nevertheless, 4 smiles for this one.  Regardless of your opinion on the ending...you will have strong feelings and strong opinions.  That, after all, is what Jodi does best.




No comments:

Post a Comment