Monday, January 28, 2019

Mr. Mercedes by Stephen King

Bill Hodges Trilogy #1



Disclaimer: You already know that I'm a little weird when it comes to book series. I don't always feel the need to read them in order. In this case, I actually read the third book in this trilogy FIRST. It was AMAZING. That led me to rush out and grab this one. Now the first thing I noticed about this one upon finishing it was that it has some rather low reviews from Stephen King fanatics. It is entirely possible I actually enjoyed this one MORE because I already knew how the trilogy was going to end. I basically read this as a prequel and it WORKED for this story. Anyway, keep all that in mind as you read my review.

Synopsis: Retired detective Bill Hodges is haunted by the unsolved crimes from his time on the force, one of which is the Mercedes killer. A letter arriving at his house from the man proclaiming to be responsible proves that Hodges may not be the only one still fixated on the case. Hodges and an unlikely pair of helpers may be the only ones who know the killer thinks about doing it again. Can they stop him before he takes more lives?

This book was wonderful. Stephen King never disappoints on his delivery of suspense. The characters are deep and real. I enjoyed reading about the retired detective trying to unravel the mystery, even when we had a lot of the answers already. I recommend this one to anyone who enjoys a good suspense novel.

Note for Parents/Teachers: Violence is going to be your main problem here but there are also adult situations and even one that is wildly inappropriate. If you monitor what your kiddo reads, I'd steer them away from this one.

Five smiles





No comments:

Post a Comment