Monday, June 9, 2014

Young Adult Books

Note: This is not a book review.  THIS is a rant.  You've been warned.

I recently read an article where someone claimed you should be embarrassed if, as an adult, you read YA (young adult) novels.  Bleh.

Here is my simple answer.  That is crap.  Never...EVER be embarrassed about a single thing you pick up and read.  What is wrong with our society?  First we begin to accept "I'm not a reader" or "I don't read" as excuses.  Now we believe it's our right to make others feel small for what they read?  Excuse my language but fuck that.

Read.  Read everything.  Read all genres.  BAN NOTHING.  Open up a book you've heard good things about and read it-no matter the age it was "intended" for.  Open up a book you've heard bad things about and read it-form your own opinions.  Then, read some more.  Talk about books.  Argue about books.  READ BOOKS!

NEVER be embarrassed for reading.  NEVER.

Thank you!

P.S. I have noticed a HUGE upswing in the number of people blogging or writing articles in response to this very same article.  Speak out people-and thank you for reading just one more!

Here's that original article, if you're so inclined.

1 comment:

  1. I agree! Read anything and everything. You will never be worse off for it.

    ReplyDelete