Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Divergent Series by Veronica Roth

This review encompasses all three novels in the face-paced series; Divergent, Insurgent, and Allegiant.

Through this series, Ms. Roth creates a dystopian society that you can tell began with utopian roots.  Similar to other fictional societies, this one has undertones of revolution right from the beginning.  However, this society divides itself into five factions and allows individuals to choose their faction.  This change is important, and it makes the story unique from others like it.

At it's heart, this is a story about knowing what makes people happy.  Everyone is different, we all have different desires.  The people in this world choose the faction they believe will make them happy.  The contrast between factions, for me, illuminates how different humans are from each other. What makes one person happy often makes another miserable.  "I have never been carried around by a large boy, or laughed until my stomach hurt at the dinner table, or listened to the clamor of a hundred people talking all at once. Peace is restrained; this is free."

I felt this series opened up amazing conversations and thoughts about what society needs.  These are good conversations to have with each other.  What does a healthy government look like?  I was intrigued from book 1.  Each sequel picks up where the other left off, leaving only subtle reminders for people not reading them back-to-back.

"I have to find out what could possibly be important enough for the Abnegation to die for-and the Erudite to kill for."

"The truth has a way of changing a person's plans."

Among the story line of action that pulls these books forward at a lightning pace is the romance.  Our main characters have a love between them that feels very real throughout their challenges.  Unlike many classified young adult books (don't get me started on that again) it doesn't feel fake, new, or forced.  "...when he touches me like he can't bear to take his hand away, I don't wish I was any different."  The romance unfolds throughout the series differently than I was expecting and pulls at your inner romantic.

I have always adored books with strong female lead characters and men that aren't afraid of that.  This series delivers.  Tris grows ever stronger throughout the series and I love her for it.  The decisions she makes are calculated, but hard, and they force me to drop the book and catch my breath frequently.

In the final book of the series, unlike the first two, the story is delivered alternately between Tris' and Tobias' points of view.  The change is refreshing.  The reader is given a more complete picture of the story taking place.  I also believe it keeps the story from feeling stale, as you have another voice coming through.  It is in this third book that everyone, regardless of how you felt before, will fall in love with Tobias.

This is a work-of-art.  An amazing tale of a society that will begin to feel real to you by the second chapter.  A group of people who will make you feel every emotion on the spectrum.  A series that will keep you turning pages so fast you'll marvel at how soon you've concluded the 1,500 page tale.  HIGHLY recommended.

5 smiles and a wink for each book
A tear for Allegiant, which not only brought the salty drops to my eye but actually made them fall down my cheeks (readers of the blog will know how rare this is)






1 comment:

  1. I've been debating reading this. Your review has pushed me over the ledge. Divergent it is!

    ReplyDelete