Wednesday, June 4, 2014

The First Phone Call from Heaven by Mitch Albom

This is a pretty typical story from inspirational great Mitch Albom.  The story will get to even the hardest heart as you read about a town receiving phone calls from deceased loved ones.  Those who have read anything by Mr. Albom know that he will make you question your own beliefs and faith through the characters he carefully pens.  This book is no different, you will question whether you believe in a heaven after death.

This book also quietly brings a second lesson, which I absolutely loved.  The undertones of the characters reactions to the news of the calls spark riotous levels of news coverage and followers.  I found myself considering the insanity of "miracles" and our reactions to them as a society.  I had deep conversations with myself about whether this is right or wrong.  Fantastic job, Mr. Albom, of bringing that to the surface without attacking society.

I did feel like the twist in the ending was easy to figure out, but still good.  Overall, well done.  Three smiles.




No comments:

Post a Comment