Wednesday, June 4, 2014

Torment by Lauren Kate

Book 2, Fallen Series

First, let me say it had been a LONG time since I read Fallen.  I remember enjoying Fallen a little, enough to put Torment on my wish list.  When Torment became available at the library, I worried I had already forgotten important details of this series.  Lauren Kate, however, did an excellent job of bringing back subtle reminders of the original plot lines in her sequel.  I am not a fan of the take-the-first-two-chapters-to-completely-recap-your-original-plot idea, since that bores readers who are hungrily page turning through the series.  Kate did NOT do this.  She found ways to work it in  and force me to remember.  Brilliant.

I feel as though I've read entirely too many of the supernatural who-will-she-choose books (that cannot just be me who feels that way) but this falls toward the top of that scale.  I like the whole fallen angels/demons concept.  I like Lucinda and her strong personality; she has an independent streak, not often found in a damsel in distress.

I like strong female lead characters.  I will read the third one in this series.  If you like the supernatural genre, give this one a read.

Three smiles.


No comments:

Post a Comment