Tuesday, November 27, 2018

My Grandmother Asked Me to Tell You She's Sorry by Fredrik Backman

If you enjoyed falling into far-away lands with Roald Dahl, JK Rowling, or CS Lewis, you'll love this book. Backman creates a character of Elsa, a 7-year-old girl who is struggling with grief and loss by melding her real world with the fantasy world her grandmother always told her about. Our tale will pop back and forth between The Land of Almost Awake and the real world, often times drawing connections between the two that may catch you off guard. 

This book made me laugh out loud with Backman's figurative language and voice. This book made my eyes water at the descriptions of thing Elsa was feeling with her loss. This book gave me goosebumps when life happened in ways that surprised me. 

I recommend this book for all adults who remember our fantasy worlds and want to read about another one through the eyes of a child. If you believe fairy tales are based in real tales and can help with grief, give this one a shot.






No comments:

Post a Comment