Saturday, January 4, 2014

Tales of Beedle the Bard by JK Rowling

   I am a die-hard fan of JK Rowling and her Harry Potter series.  What this woman single-handedly did for teens and preteens reading is unquestionably amazing.  Regardless of how you feel about her topic, which I also happen to adore, you have to give the woman props for what she accomplished.  So when the library I frequent had a copy of Beedle the Bard, I had to get it!
   Reported on the cover to be "translated by Hermione Granger" and "with extensive commentary by Albus Dumbledore" I obviously swooned over the idea of holding this book, as I'm sure did many a Pottermaniac.  The tales, as many of us came to know them through the Deathly Hallows pair of novels, were accurate for what we imagine.  The morals are there, the world we love to love is accurate, and I appreciated the stories.
   Dumbledore's commentary, on the other hand, seemed inconsistent for the wizened wizard.  I found myself wanting to skip those parts all together, but then immediately apologized to him and continued reading.  I suppose this is the result of us reading his ramblings unchecked.  If that is the way Ms. Rowling designed it, bravo.
    One other negative: there was at least one story mentioned by Dumbledore that was not included in the book of fairytales from the wizarding world.  Who is Grumble the Grubby Goat, and why is his tale not included?  I would be there, with the rest of the Pottermaniacs, checking out the next edition of this collection of old stories translated from the ancient runes.  They may  need some work, but they are still three smiles from me.


No comments:

Post a Comment