Saturday, January 4, 2014

I, Michael Bennett by James Patterson

   The fifth, and clearly not final, book in the Michael Bennett series left me rather disappointed.  Don't get me wrong, in clear James Patterson style the short chapters and intense action kept the book moving at a very fast pace which I enjoyed.  I think the problem, for me, this time around is the lack of realism in our character's interactions.
   But I'll get back to that.  Let's start with what this book is about.  Michael Bennett, a detective with the NYPD is also a single father of ten kids.  Yup, ten.  His wife passed away years ago, leaving him to raise the brood with the help of his nanny, Mary Catherine, and his grandfather/priest, Seamus.  In this book he looses a friend in a firefight with a Mexican crime lord and generally bad dude.  The book follows Michael and his new compadres as they battle this case even up to court.
   As always, the bad guys are intense and the action is packed with terrible scenarios that you need to play out in order to sleep at night.  However, I felt Mary Catherine was lacking in realism this time around.  Something is just up with that woman, and I hate that I never satisfactorily got the answer about what that was.  Secondly, if Michael is so torn up by the loss of this friend why has said friend never been mentioned in four previous novels?  That bothered me.  Also, there is a twist attempted...but I was incredibly disappointed that I figured it out before the big reveal.  Finally, the ending.  Oh, I'm no stranger to endings that leave you hanging, especially from Mr. Patterson, but this one was terrible. I found myself thinking not "oh my gosh, I should go buy the next book and find out what happens" but "oh man, there's another one?  Sigh."
    Overall, I'm sad to say this was only a three smile book for me.  Had it been any other author, it would've been a two-star.  If you're a die hard fan of Michael Bennett and his antics, read this one...but do yourself a favor and have the next one already on your shelf.  If you really could live without the NYPD detective...skip this one.  Sorry James, I still love you!



No comments:

Post a Comment