Monday, February 19, 2018

The Secret of Skull Mountain by Franklin Dixon

Hardy Boys #27

I'm a little embarrassed to admit that I grew up in a reader's household and taught elementary school for 15 years and yet this is the first time in my life I have ever read a Hardy Boys Mystery. I've read Nancy Drew, and I've had many people tell me they're similar. But this is the first one I've read. Ever.

Let me explain why I chose to read it now. My son is in middle school now. He's recently (FINALLY) decided he rather enjoys reading. I fully credit that to the fun he's having updating his goodreads app (which I finally let him get). He has also decided he enjoys reading mystery books. So I grabbed an old Hardy Boys book from the bookshelf in my classroom. My thought was that if I enjoyed it I could tell him all about it and open him up to the full collection of Hardy Boys books.

I have to say, I was a little underwhelmed. The story, even knowing I was reading for children, was not really hard to figure out. More importantly, I'm not sure the mystery was one I cared enough about to want solved. I was a little bored and glad it was a short book. I have another one on the shelf so I'll try again, but this was not my favorite. I may have to give Nancy Drew another read instead.

Oh well.
2 smiles.


No comments:

Post a Comment