Tuesday, July 28, 2015

Accused by Lisa Scottoline

I like Lisa Scottoline's writing.  I like the way she crafts her stories, with twists and turns that keep you guessing.

That being said, I had a few problems with this one.  It's a slow start, I struggled to wade through the beginning before I got to something that kept me turning pages.

I didn't really fall in love with our main character either.  It's not really Scottoline's fault that I had issues with Mary.  As a character, she's pretty good.  The problem is I'm getting a bit tired of the female lead being the same in every book.  It's like people finally decided to have women be in powerful roles, and then promptly decided that made us all the same.  There were things about Mary that are different, sure, but it felt like those were downplayed.  All working women do not always ignore good advice and chase ideals that make us basically ignore people who love us.

I also felt like the Italian family was a bit stereotyped.  I know some of those things are accurate, but again maybe try to play up their differences instead of the cliche.

I'd say 2 smiles.  I'll give her a wink as well.  Although the ending was easy to figure out there were a few twists that surprised me.

If you aren't tired of that work driven female lead and you aren't bothered by the Italian stereotype, give this one a go.  Actually give this one a go anyway and let me know if you agreed.


No comments:

Post a Comment