Saturday, April 12, 2014

Girls in Pants; the Third Summer of the Sisterhood by Ann Brashares

    Let's pretend for a second that I actually believe the premise (from book one) that all four of these vastly different teenage girls fit into the same pair of jeans. Forget that jeans can be an incredibly unforgiving material. Forget that teenage girls come in all shapes and sizes (including these four, by the way). Even though I can pretend to go along with in and enjoy book one-which I did-I cannot even suspend my belief to this third book. These four girls are STILL fitting in the same pair of (unwashed...ew) jeans two summers later? If I had dragged out a pair of jeans from my Sophomore year of high school and attempted to put them on the summer before college they would have been about six inches too short. Ann Brashares would like us to believe NONE of these growing girls got taller or fatter in two years? Really?
     I tried to ignore this and enjoy sad Tibby, angry Carmen, lovesick Lena, and too-big-for-her-britches Bridget. For some reason in this book, every time they mentioned the pants I cringed. They won't fit her, and she will feel so fat. Sadly, that never happened. The constant waiting for that realism to pop up ruined the story for me though.  Too bad, it had potential.
    I can say that I still like the girls and I like how they have grown (obviously it must be only emotional growth). The girls themselves pushed this to two smiles. If you liked book 1 and 2 you might as well finish the series.


No comments:

Post a Comment