Friday, June 8, 2018

Along for the Ride by Sarah Dessen

I don't normally go for this type of book, which is usually the first thing I say before negatively reviewing a book. I love YA, I'm down with contemporary books, I even like the beach novels. But this seemed questionable to me when reading the back. In fact, when I started it it seemed cliche. Auden has a great name, but otherwise she started with a "oh I've read about her before" kind of feel. She's an overachiever who doesn't really know how to have fun. She's going to go spend the summer at the beach. Got it.

Then something happened. Characters broke out of a few cliche molds, just for a second. Auden started to realize that people can be more than one thing. One character just sucked me in. I don't know why, but I just loved the way he was written. He was the classic you-think-you-know-him character.

I ended up devouring this story in one day. I can't argue with that.

Five smiles.




No comments:

Post a Comment