Wednesday, October 29, 2014

Flight Behavior by Barbara Kingsolver

I really wanted to like this book.  I've enjoyed other works by Ms. Kingsolver, including Bean Trees and Pigs in Heaven (highly recommended books, by the way).  This book was a realistic fiction story that follows a rural family with troubles as they encounter a scientific phenomenon that changes their small town.  The story is woven with some excellent science details and a few characters who I really respected and enjoyed (Ovid Byron, for one).

However, the story slows painfully in many spots and I felt myself needing to force the reading to get through it.  The information about global warming is actually presented quite well and reads quickly, helping this earn a smile from me.  Overall, I give this book 2 smiles.  One earned for the presentation of global warming and one earned because I like the extended metaphor of the butterflies to our main character.



No comments:

Post a Comment